Schefflera plants are beautiful house plants. They are fascinating and easy to care for plants. We often wonder how to care for such plants, like pruning Schefflera, and overall growth.
Schefflera indoor care is very easy and does not require too much time. In this article, we have discussed the best ways to care for the Schefflera plant. Pruning Schefflera is one of the major parts of care. It required strategically trimming umbrella plant, start with tough and broken branches best time to do this is in early winter. We need to also check if there are any diseased branches, that are making Schefflera leaves curly and yellow. Giving it a bushier shape while trimming is the trending thing for an outdoor plant.
Along with the best pruning Schefflera, we are going to cover the below things.
- How to prune overgrown Schefflera
- Best pruning Schefflera bonsai tips
- Why my umbrella tree is too tall
- Schefflera pruning outdoor Tips
- How to prune dwarf Schefflera
- Schefflera cuttings techniques
- How to get a Schefflera to branch
Things To Expect From This Article
- 1 What does a Schefflera Plant look like?
- 2 Best Time To Plant Schefflera
- 3 How To Prune Overgrown Schefflera? Step by step tips
- 4 Best Pruning Schefflera Bonsai Tips
- 5 How To Graft Schefflera House Plant?
- 6 My Umbrella Tree Is Too Tall? What To Do
- 7 How To Prune Dwarf Schefflera?
- 8 Best Schefflera Cutting Techniques
- 9 How To Get a Schefflera To Branch
- 10 How Do You Make A Umbrella Tree Bushier?
- 11 Can you Root Schefflera Cuttings in Water?
- 12 Why Are The Leaves on my Schefflera Falling off?
- 13 Can Schefflera be Planted Outside?
- 14 How Long do Schefflera Plants Live?
- 15 What Do You Do With A Leggy Schefflera Plant?
- 16 How Often Do You Water Schefflera?
- 17 Conclusion
What does a Schefflera Plant look like?
Schefflera are beautiful tropical plants. It is also called Umbrella Plant (due to umbrella shape), Octopus Tree, 8 Leaf Plant, Six leaf plant and it’s mostly found in the Australian, Hawaiian region.
The big Schefflera plant has long, shiny, oval-shaped green colored leaves that hang beautifully from a middle branch, making it look like an umbrella.
A fully grown Schefflera might have twelve to eighteen leaves from a single branch, while a plant that has not grown fully will more likely have four to seven leaves.
A dwarf Schefflera, also known as Schefflera Arboricola, has small, shiny leaves with a creamy appearance.
Best Time To Plant Schefflera
- Schefflera plants are a perfect fit for areas having a minimum temperature of -1.1 degrees celsius.
- In areas colder than that, the plant mostly grows inside the house but can be brought outside for warmer seasons.
- When planted inside the house, they grow very well next to other tropical plants.
- However, the chances of a flower blooming inside are very less.
- If you wish to see their beautiful flowers with colors like red, white, or pink, they need to grow outside.
How To Prune Overgrown Schefflera? Step by step tips
Schefflera, also known as umbrella plants, are easy to heighten houseplants. They grow properly in artificial or mildly bright light and do not attract many pests.
But without proper cutting, they may become overgrown and require proper pruning to give them a good look. The process of Schefflera pruning outdoors is not too tough.
Read on to know the correct way to give a proper shape to your overgrown Schefflera plant:
Assess Your umbrella Plant
- The Schefflera pruning‘s first step is to check if the plant has a single stem or multiple stems. This will determine how to trim schefflera because if your plant has multiple stems, you will have more options.
- Your plant will be fuller if they have more stems to grow leaves, whereas a plant with one stem will be more suitable for a tall and thin plant.
- Do not try to amend the natural growing shape of your plant. Trimming your plant in its natural shape as it grows will be easier for you.
- When buying a new plant, make sure that you get a plant with multiple stems if you want a plant that looks bushy. And on how to make umbrella plant bushy, in the initial growth start the trimming to form a bushy shape.
- The next step would be to decide the figure of your plant. Some people like their plants to look fuller, whereas some people like them skinny. It is completely dependent on the area you want a plant to grow in and the level of care you can provide.
- The growth nodes on a Schefflera houseplant is located at the point where leaves come out. This plant has a high growth rate; therefore, it has many notes that might require trimming depending upon the look you plan to give to your plant.
- Always plan the trimming of your plant before actually doing it to avoid mistakes and removing too many leaves.
- Before you start pruning the Schefflera plant, you must make sure that your plant is perfectly in good health and properly potted. In case you think that the roots are overcrowded, repotting of Schefflera can be done to promote healthy growth.
- If leaves are losing color or looking Brown, then check for soil nutrients for overwatering of the plant. The soil should not be too moist as it will destroy the plant.
- The tools you use for trimming your plant must be sharp and clean. When it comes to the Schefflera plant, the tool you need to use will completely depend on its size. If you are trimming a small Bush, then hand pruners share and loppers are a perfect fit. But for taller plants, you will need a pole pruner.
- In case the tree is too tall to trim with the help of a pole pruner safely, it would be advisable for you to ask for professional help.
Trimming Your Schefflera Plant
- To begin trimming a plant, make sure that you cut back schefflera just above a growth node to avoid the plant from quickly gaining height. This will help your plant in gaining a fuller appearance in the area it is cut.
- To do this, the best tool would be bypass pruning shears as they have two blades on them just like a scissor and cut cleanly through the stem instead of crushing them.
- Make sure that your plant gets enough light in the area you have planted it in. A plant also tends to grow faster to get proper sunlight.
- Once you have dealt with the plant’s height, make sure to reduce the width as well. Make sure to cut horizontal branches just above the leaf node. Cut the branch back further from where you want to cut it. It will aid in the better growth of the plant. Once again, do not forget to use by-pass pruning shares if you do not want to crush the stem.
- Sometimes when the plants are neglected, those are completely overgrown, and it gets difficult for you to figure out a way to shape the plant.
- You can narrow the stem length to 6 inches from the base. This way, the plant will get a fresh start and allow you to control the way it grows.
- While trimming, do not forget to leave two to three nodes on each stem to give the plant a place to grow from.
- The larger stem of the plant can further be used for growing new plants. This can be done by placing the cut stem in the soil for a few weeks along with two layers of leaves.
Best Pruning Schefflera Bonsai Tips
One of the most important parts of the article is pruning Schefflera bonsai and defoliation.
You should prune all the leaves from your plant just leaving the stem, followed by the trimming of larger leaves in the next year.
This process should be carried on every string until and unless you get the average leaf size you want.
- For best dwarf Schefflera care, the plant must be kept in a watery environment. If this facility is not available, then the plant’s trunk can be wrapped in a plastic sheet to keep it warm.
- The plant should be sprayed with water every day and provided with proper fertilizers. You must use half-strength liquid plant food and applied every few weeks.
- When the trees start growing extra branches, decide on the save you want to give to your plant and trim out the unwanted roots.
How To Graft Schefflera House Plant?
Many times, we think about how to propagate Schefflera and do not find the correct answers. To help with this dilemma, I have briefly mentioned the best way to propagate Scheffler and for grafting Schefflera.
The Schefflera Plant For Propagation should be done with healthy and properly watered plants.
- STEP 1- Rootstock from a similar plant species should be prepared first. Take another Schefflera with a destroyed or leafy top portion. Measure 2 inches from the plant’s base and make an angled cut.
- STEP 2– Make a 4 to 6 inches section on the Schefflera that you want to craft using a very sharp knife. Cut the bottom of the section at an angle to line it up properly with the rootstock. The diameter of both the section should be close to each other.
- STEP 3– Match the cut portions and join them together. Remove any air bubbles by gently pressing them and use masking tape to keep the parts bound together.
My Umbrella Tree Is Too Tall? What To Do
The Schefflera plant usually grows too tall when they do not get enough sunlight in the area they are planted in.
To make sure that the plant does not get too tall, put the plant in an area to get proper natural light.
If your umbrella plant has grown too tall, then trimming can be done to ensure that your plant gets to the height you want.
Decide the height and the shape of the plant and trim the plant accordingly.
Also, find below a guide on pruning different plants and trees.
- How To Prune Dappled Willow Tree
- Best 2021 Guide For Pruning Elderberries- Step By Step
- Best [#15 Tips] On Pruning Bay Tree | Care | Grow 2021 Guide
- How To Prune Mountain Laurel (21 Pro Ways)- Step By Step
- (21 Exclusive Ways) How To Prune Grape Vines -Beginners Guide
- How + When To Prune Raspberries For Winters Exclusive [21 Ways]
How To Prune Dwarf Schefflera?
To trim your dwarf Schefflera follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Remove any dead, broken, or disease, please, which are attached to the leaf nodes.
- Remove items with a large amount of dead, broken, and damaged leaves up to half inches above the nearest healthy stem using a bypass pruning tool to make a clear cut without damaging it.
- Keep trimming the overgrown umbrella leaves and branches of the plant in shape in the size you desire. If you wish, you can even cut your plant severely by several inches or feet, depending on the age and size of Schefflera.
- To train the plant, cut the top of your plant when it reaches the height that you desire. The plant will further grow branches from this cut, and then you can for the trip made to make it like a canopy.
- If the plant has a weak trunk, then cut the plant branches severely to up to 4 to 6 inches. This will force the plant to develop strong branches that will support the plant.
- Again cut the top of the branches if you want your plant to have more branches and make it look bushier.
- Contents: bonsai, plastic grower pot, soil, Care instructions.
- Schefflera Arboricola, Dwarf Umbrella Tree, Live plant
- CONTENTS: Bonsai, Decorative Container (Assorted Colors & Styles), Humidity Tray, Deco Rocks, Soil,...
- CONTENTS: Bonsai, Decorative Container (Assorted Colors & Styles), Humidity Tray, Deco Rocks, Soil,...
Last update on 2021-10-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Best Schefflera Cutting Techniques
- Lessen the height of a Scheffler plant just by breaking or cutting an upright stem just above the growth Nord.
- A Schefflera’s width can also be reduced by cutting the horizontal branches back to just above the leaf node.
- Cutting down all the stems to 6 inches starting from the base and to the bare-bottomed, straggly plant.
How To Get a Schefflera To Branch
Variegated Schefflera is amongst the few popular house plants that layout palate or big dark leaves as an output.
Life indoors in a pot could be really hard for several plants. This could lead to unhealthy or leggy visuals shapes. This is the time to prune it.
The well-known tropical Schefflera plant with other names as Umbrella tree or plant can grow larger output in the appropriate climate.
However, indoors, such outdoors can be well maintained and trimmed accordingly. By doing this, they can be managed well in the subsequent space.
Plants like Pruning Schefflera are beautiful and can be easily maintained at a size that is quite manageable. In such a way, nothing can stop you from enjoying this beautiful plant at home.
However, if you ever saw a native Schefflera outdoor, it would be quite surprising to believe their capability to grow at a vast scale.
When the plant absorbs its natural water, light, and space, it can be as big as 40 feet tall. On the other hand, in the indoor location, the growth is about 8 feet or 2.5m.
- Also, an individual can easily manage this umbrella plant’s height by offering a required shape and trimming accordingly. It is not highly needed to run the Schefflera plants.
- But, if you find a need to provide it the required shape and wish to trim it, then pruning is the best option to consider.
- Initially, the Scheffleras comprise a single stalk, but as the plant rises even higher, Scheffleras have several stalks.
- Also, special schefflera plant care has to be offered as if the plant does not get enough light or water; its branches may get leggy or long. Ultimately, they will flop over their weight and may produce leaves that the end.
- This highlights that the time of Schefflera has arisen. It’s not tough to run a Schefflera plant. If you find an unhealthy and long stalk, consider cutting it quickly.
How Do You Make A Umbrella Tree Bushier?
To make your plant look bushier, you need to trim your plant properly. Please check some tutorials to know how to prune the umbrella plants.
These plants generally grow in height but to make sure that they give a canopy-like structure, you need to trim them properly.
The plant branches have multiple nodes to grow leaves from. Therefore, the trimming procedure must be planned accordingly to ensure that the plant grows in the size and shape that you want it to.
Can you Root Schefflera Cuttings in Water?
Schefflera plant cutting can easily be rooted in water. Below mentioned are the steps that you need to follow to know how to root Schefflera cutting:
- Pick a node on the plant from where you want to cut.
- Using a sharp knife, cut one-fourth inches below the node.
- Put cutting in a glass container and pour in enough water to cover the nodes.
- Change the water every four to six days.
- Wait patiently for the root to grow.
- When the root grows up to three to five inches, put the plant cutting in the soil.
Why Are The Leaves on my Schefflera Falling off?
Schefflera plants generally lose their leaves for four reasons. These reasons are overwatering, less watering, lack of nutrients in the soil, or stress.
First, we need to find the answer to the question, “why is my Schefflera dropping green leaves?” and how to revive a Schefflera plant.
- Once you perform it there are several ways to deal effectively with these problems.
- To ensure that you provide enough water to your plant, check the soil before you what your plant is to ensure that the soil is dry.
- If there is a lack of fertilizers in the soil, either add fertilizers or repot the plant.
- Also, make sure to check the plant for any pest or disease to take proper action.
Also, read the below tips to control common gardening bugs.
- How To Kill Root Maggots In Garden  Natural Ways
- Signs Of Termites In Trees:  Quick Fixes To Identify + Prevent ASAP
- Ants In Garden: [21 Cheap Ways] To Get Rid Of Ants In Garden Naturally
- How To Get Rid Of Powdery Mildew  Easy Yet Effective Ways
- How To Get Rid Of Mealybug Eggs In Soil [21 Affordable Ways]
- Quick Help! How To Identify And Get Rid Of Springtails Bugs Without Any Toxic Sprays
- How To Thrips Control Within (24 Hrs) Naturally (Without Toxic Sprays)
Below are some common Frequent asked questions on pruning Schefflera
Can Schefflera be Planted Outside?
Yes, it can be planted outside. When you plant the umbrella tree outside, you need to ensure that you provide the plant with proper support, nutrition, and a watering schedule.
How Long do Schefflera Plants Live?
When given proper care and nutrients, the Schefflera plant can live up to 10 to 25 years.
You need to make sure that the plant is provided with enough fertilizers, sunlight, and water. They require on-time trimming. All these things will ensure that your plant lives a very long life.
What Do You Do With A Leggy Schefflera Plant?
The best way to treat a leggy umbrella plant is to propagate it or prune it. Make sure to put in proper fertilizer and keep the plant in proper sunlight.
How Often Do You Water Schefflera?
Your plant does not require too much water to survive. If it is moist, you can water the plant after a few days when the soil dries up; else, you will end up overwatering a plant.
Also, enjoy reading the below guides.
- What Do Slugs Eat In The Garden?  Ways To Get Rid Of Them
- Amazing [#21] Rubber Tree Care And Grow Tips
- How To Prune Dappled Willow Tree
- Exclusive  Elephant Ear Plant Care Indoor Tips + Grow Guide
- Peace Lily Brown Leaves- Top  Reasons And Cures To Revive
Even though the plant is low maintenance, the plant still needs proper trimming. Proper instruction on how to prune a Schefflera plant is mentioned in the article.
The proper way to provide Schefflera tree care has been given in the article. Follow the instructions carefully, and you will have your plant at its best.
My name is Olivia, staying in the United States, and I love to have plants in my garden. Lots of plants are there in my balcony, indoor and outdoor garden also. Here I am trying to share useful tips on gardening, how to grow and care for various plants, etc. Check out more.