Lisianthus plants are widely popular nowadays. They are commonly used as gardening plants and for the purpose of decoration. How To Grow Lisianthus is a big question for many people.
From the past five years, lisianthus plants have gained immense popularity. In fact, they are also sold as blooming plants. They grow alongside stalwarts like gloxinia and kalanchoe.
OUR LATEST VIDEOS
If you are planning to grow lisianthus plants, here are the tips and tricks you can explore to grow them more efficiently.
Things To Expect From This Article
- 1 Lisianthus Plant Profile And Meaning?
- 2 How To Grow Lisianthus?
- 3 How To Care Lisianthus Step By Step?
- 4 How To Grow Lisianthus From Seed?
- 5 What Are The Different Colors & Types Of Lisianthus (Varieties)?
- 6 Where To Buy Lisianthus Plants?
- 7 Conclusion
Lisianthus Plant Profile And Meaning?
Lisianthus flower has the scientific name lisianthus Eustoma or Eustoma grandiflorum. It is one of the members of the Gentianaceae family.
- They grow mainly in warm seasons in countries like Mexico, the Caribbean, Southern United States, and northern South America. The lisianthus flower is mainly grown for the purpose of horticulture or as an ornamental plant. Sometimes, it is also used as an indoor plant to match the current decor.
- The Eustoma lisianthus is available in many varieties of colors and shades both. They generally grow in the summer season. The sowing period that is right for these plants is around the end of the winter season when summer is about to start.
- There are some varieties of lisianthus that are in an experimental phase. Experts are trying different methods so that these plants can produce flowers throughout the year.
- The plants grow and bloom nicely in the warm spring season. Once the bloom has faded these lisianthus flowers are discarded and waited again for the next season to bloom again.
- lisianthus flowers can grow high up to 20-60 ft. They have succulent leaves and large funnel-shaped flowers with a long and straight stem.
- Though, they come in varieties of shapes and sizes in which lisianthus purple is the most popular one. They are also available as double lisianthus as well as single lisianthus.
- The petals on the plant are bluish or purple which has a fuse towards the base. There are also some dwarf varieties of the flower available in the market which grows around a height of 6-10 inches tall.
How To Grow Lisianthus?
Many people wonder how to grow lisianthus more effectively and efficiently. Following are some tips about its growing conditions that will help you to grow it properly.
- Light: These plants starve for light. However, bright but indirect sunlight is best suited for these plants. Therefore, they must be protected from harsh summers. For the same reason, climatic conditions present in the months of August and September prove beneficial for their growth.
- Water: Water your lisianthus plants as often as possible. However, the best practice to let the soil dry in between watering sessions. But, don’t let the soil remain dry for a longer period of time as it may result in drought-like conditions. Similarly, avoid over-watering as it would result in a flood-like situation. Thus, to maintain optimum water level for the plant, drip irrigation is preferred.
- Soil: Always choose the soil with a good drainage system for your lisianthus plants. As the soil with poor drainage will cause the rooting lisianthus’ roots. The preferred soil is clay as it remains moist most of the time. The ideal pH level for these flowering plants is around 6.5 – 7.0. Acidic soil results in yellowing of their leaves and decreased growth.
- Fertilizer: Liquid fertilizer suits them well. Also, it is recommended to apply fertilizers in their growing season. This plant requires continuous nutrient replenishment to produce good branches with plentiful blossoms. Use a fertilizer that has a 1.5: 1 ratio of nitrogen and potassium.
- Propagation: Lisianthus plants can propagate through both methods by sowing them when they are seed or replanting them. But when they are grown through seed they can grow larger in size.
How To Care Lisianthus Step By Step?
Lisianthus care starts right from when you plant it. The plant requires perfect conditions to grow and an ambient environment. Here is the step by step treatment to take care of them:-
Plant Early: –
- The first step is to find where to buy lisianthus plants near your home. After you brought them you need to understand that these plants grow mainly in the high heat of summer.
- The plants take a while to grow. As well you need to plant them at cool temperatures or when the summer is about to start. Sowing seeds at this time ensures that flowers will come just in time.
Weed Management: –
- The management of weed for growing lisianthus is also very important. These plants do not attain much height for several months. Therefore, leaves keep growing at a low level for a longer duration.
- Hence, if they are not taken care of properly, creepers like crabgrass can overtake them and deplete their growth.
- For weed management, you can use plastic with small uniform pre-punched holes. These holes are usually 2-inch in diameter, thus, leaving little to no space for the weeds to grow.
- It also allows growing lisianthus flowers in a tidy and efficient manner. It is advised to weed early and often rather than taking action when the situation becomes worse.
- Also, water your lisianthus plants after each weeding to facilitate re-settling of delicate roots into the ground.
Watering and Feeding: –
- Watering is also a major aspect that needs to be taken care of. If you buy lisianthus plants and sow them in the spring season, it is advisable to keep the soil moist.
- The water should be enough to keep the soil moist but it must not create flood-like situations for the plant. After planting, it is recommended to spray foliar, a mixture of fish and kelp powder on a weekly basis to feed the plant.
- Lisianthus flowers are prone to spotting and molding. Therefore, it is usually recommended to use drip irrigation instead of a sprinkler or a hose.
Variety Selection: –
- The variety of lisianthus flowers that you will choose will also affect the process of taking care of these flowers. If you’re confused about which variety to pick for yourself.
- It is better to search lisianthus images over the internet and choose the right variety for you. The varieties available are single shade as well as double shaded lisianthus.
How To Grow Lisianthus From Seed?
Lisianthus plants require special treatment when they are grown from seed. If you want to grow lisianthus from seed, sow them indoors, 12 to 13 weeks before planting them out.
This is done preferably after the last frost i.e when the winter season is about to end. Place the one pelted seed per cell into a deep-fry tray .
And at the time of sowing applies a root shield to provide prolonged protection to the roots against the pathogens.
- The Lisianthus plant needs proper light for germination. However, the light shouldn’t be of much intensity, i.e. they shouldn’t be placed in bright sunlight. Vermiculite covering can also be used. It will provide eustoma flower protection against algae growth.
- The soil is to be kept moist most of the time as moisture is needed by the seed to develop. Let the seeds germinate for around 10-15 days. When the germination ends, the seedling can take time to grow. This usually takes around 60 days before they get ready for further transplanting.
- When seedlings start coming out, you can transplant them outside. Make sure you keep the distance of 15-20 cm between each seedling. Add fertilizer to lisianthus plants to enhance their growth. Sprinkling water on the leaves ensures that your lisianthus plants will remain well hydrated.
By following the above mentioned instructions and tips, you can grow a lisianthus effectively from the seed.
- Lisianthus Flowers: How To Grow And Care Tips
- Exclusive (#17) Balloon Flower (Grow & Care Tips For Blooming)
- How To Plant Mountain Laurel (Complete Care & Grow Guide)
What Are The Different Colors & Types Of Lisianthus (Varieties)?
Lisianthus flowers are available in different varieties. its more than 20 + varieties of lisianthus, which can be seen in the markets.
Some more varieties are also available in the market which is the hybrid one. The lisianthus colors shades which are most famous from all are:-
- Cherry Sorbet
- Arena Red
- Black Pearl
- Charisma Blue
- Charisma White
- Lisianthus Florida Blue
- Flare White
- Lisa Blue
- Mariachi Blue
- White Rose
- Light Pink Lisianthus
The lisianthus plant is available in many colors in the market. Lisianthus perennial is available in the market in single as well as double shades of color. Some of the varieties of these flowers are larger while some of them are dwarf ones.
Lisianthus echo blue, lisianthus rose, yellow lisianthus are the varieties that are widely available. The colors available for these flowers are vibrant as well as light in shade. You just need to pick the right choice of color according to your choice.
#1- Lisianthus White
White lisianthus flowers are rose-like flowers. They are amongst the most commonly available colors in the lisianthus flower. The blooming season for these flowers is summer or spring.
They typically attain a height of 20-60 cms. These lisianthus flowers have an exceptional vase life. Therefore they can be easily grown at home. They are best in generic class as compared to the other varieties of these flowers.
Lisianthus white produce uniform plugs and in the final stages they produce a high quality finished crop. They can also be grown in double varieties of shades when they are cross breeded with other varieties of lisianthus flowers.
These flowers are also used extensively for making bouquets and decoration pieces at home. The popular varieties of white lisianthus are:-
- Balboa White
- Charisma White
- Flare White
- Forever White
- White Rose
#2- Lisianthus Doublini
Doublini lisianthus flower is like a mini rose but without thorns. Double Lisianthus is more popular amongst people.
They are available in various shades like full doubled or mixed doubles colors of the lisianthus flowers. They are rose-shaped petite flowers. They are commonly used for decoration purposes.
They are formed in masses of strong flowers. Also, transporting them to different locations is comparatively convenient and easy. The double lisianthus is an amalgamation of different shades that make up one flower.
These can grow up to a height of 25-50 cm due to which they look very beautiful in flower vases. The famous varieties of double lisianthus are:-
- ABC Red
- Adome White
- Bolero Blue
- Capri Blue
- Carmen Pink
- Crown Purple
#3- Lisianthus Pink
Pink lisianthus is a hybrid varietyoflisianthus eustoma. They are popular for their natural beauty. These are long typed flowers that grow in round shape. Their petals grow in an outward direction in a curved manner.
They have long type of flowers. Their flowers grow in round-shaped and big petals grow in the outward direction in curved fashion.
Lisianthus pink can be maintained and grown easily less maintenance. They are also available in the double shade with a shade of any other color on the inner as well as the outer side of the flower. Famous varieties of lisianthus pink are:-
- Lisa Pink
- Cherry Sorbet
- ABC 2 Rose
#4- Purple Lisianthus
Beside white lisianthus, purple lisianthus is also one of the most widely grown varieties of these plants. Purple lisianthus flower has a small size when compared with its other varieties.
They are common in grassland areas. These plants usually become 10-60 cm tall. They bear large funnel-shaped flowers.
Also, they may be single-flowered or double-flowered. Some of the popular varieties of purple lisianthus are:-
- ABC 2 purple
- Charisma Purple
- Dark Purple Lisianthus
- Moon Purple
- Blue Purple
Where To Buy Lisianthus Plants?
If you need to buy a lisianthus plant for yourself, the best option is to search on the internet lisianthus plants for sale near me. This may include a flower nursery or plant store located near your house which is having lisianthus plants for sale.
If you want to buy the seeds of the lisianthus plant, you can buy it from any of the online selling websites such as below or buy seeds directly from the plant store.
You may also like to read below informative articles.
- How to Grow Corn Complete Guide for Beginners
- How To Care For A Bamboo Plant (25 Exclusive Growing Tips)
- Lisianthus Flowers: How To Grow And Care Tips
- Lemon Tree Care And Growing Tips (Ultimate Guide)
- Green Lemons Not Turning Yellow (#11 Amazing Tips To Ripen)
- How To Fix Pothos Yellow Leaves (Simple Yet Effective #21 Tips)
With the right amount of needed care, we can solve this problem How To Grow Lisianthus? Lisianthus plants can produce beautiful flowers that become the center of attraction. You can create a pleasing and fresh environment by adding them to your garden.
Sprinkling a few drops of water on a timely basis helps in keeping them fresh for a longer period. We hope these growing tips will help you to grow your lisianthus properly.
Did you find the article interesting? Please follow GardeningLovy Pinterest and save this pin to the “How To Grow Lisianthus” board. Leave a comment below, share it, like it, rate it. We’d love to hear from you! write to Contact Us. We, as a small blogger, need all the help, motivation, and appreciation. This small help for Subscribing and sharing on social media will be appreciated!
My name is Olivia, staying in the United States, and I love to have plants in my garden. Lots of plants are there in my balcony, indoor and outdoor garden also. Here I am trying to share useful tips on gardening, how to grow and care for various plants, etc. Check out more.