If you are also plagued by creeping charlie (also known as, Glechoma hederacea, dollar weed) in your lawn and want to remove them as soon as possible, we would like to give you several tips on How To Get Rid Of Creeping Charlie naturally.
In order to destroy Creeping Charlie quickly, You need to take a hand-picked tool to pull the weeds and roots out of the dirt to choose the remaining parts of the Creeping Charlie, at that point cover the dirt with 2 crawls of wood mulch. This will choke out the ground ivy and begin the process to kill crawling Charlie. But if you don’t want to do this handmade exercise then you can take help & utilize an exceptional t zone creeping charlie solutions, or broadleaf herbicide containing either tricolpyr or dicamba on Creeping Charlie to control your yard.
Not only that, but we also enlighten you about the various uses of creeping charlie in this blog and ensure that you don’t make a decision that you regret later! Read till the end for complete and adequate information, along with the below topics.
- How to get rid of creeping charlie naturally
- How to get rid of creeping charlie with borax
- Killing creeping charlie with vinegar
- How to get rid of creeping jenny
- Dicamba herbicide for creeping charlie
- Does roundup kill creeping charlie
Things To Expect From This Article
- 1 What Is Creeping Charlie And Why Is It Bad?
- 2 How To Identify Creeping Charlie Weed In The Garden?
- 3 How To Get Rid Of Creeping Charlie Naturally – Effective (11 Steps)
- 4 How To Use Dicamba Herbicide For Creeping Charlie?
- 5 What Is The Difference Between Creeping Jenny And Creeping Charlie?
- 6 How To Kill Creeping Charlie With Vinegar?
- 7 How To Get Rid Of Creeping Charlie With Borax
- 8 Does Roundup Kill Creeping Charlie
- 9 What Is The Best Product To Kill Creeping Charlie?
- 10 How to get rid of creeping Charlie pet safe?
- 10.1 Q1: Does Creeping Charlie Die In The Winter?
- 10.2 Q2: Is Creeping Charlie Poisonous To Humans?
- 10.3 Q3: Is Ground Ivy The Same As Creeping Charlie?
- 10.4 Q4: How To Get Rid Of Creeping Jenny?
- 10.5 Q5: Is Creeping Charlie Good For Anything?
- 10.6 Q6: How to use tenacity to control creeping charlie?
- 10.7 Q7: does Scotts weed and feed kill creeping charlie?
- 11 Conclusion
What Is Creeping Charlie And Why Is It Bad?
What is creeping charlie weed? Creeping charlie is a hard-to-kill weed that is commonly found in gardens and private lawns around the world. How to get rid of ground ivy or creeping charlie?
This plant or weed is also known as ground ivy and is a close relative of the mint herb. The ground ivy is a perennial plant which means that it survives for more than 2 years if left undisturbed.
These plants thrive in moist areas that have a lot of shade. Although they do tolerate some sun, they can’t thrive when exposed to direct sunlight for long amounts of time.
What does Creeping Charlie look like in your lawn?
It easy to identify Creeping Charlie In Your Lawn, as they look and smells similar to mint leaves. They have a bit rounded leave shape with scalloped edges. Also, they have small lavender colored flowers with thicker stems. Moreover, you can find many dollar weed pictures online in order to identify.
Why Creeping Charlie has a bad reputation?
- This perennial plant will quickly cover your lawn with a mat of small, scalloped-edged, and round green leaves that become dotted with small delicate blue-flowers in the early months of spring.
- If you look at it that way, these plants are pretty, but they don’t let anything grow when they’re there. It grows very low and has a vining habit eventually killing everything else around it.
- If you don’t weed out creeping charlie, in the beginning, it will go ahead and make gardening life very difficult for you and the other plants that are trying to grow there.
How To Identify Creeping Charlie Weed In The Garden?
Creeping charlie is a very sneaky plant when it comes to spreading its own tentacles around your lawn or the garden.
- It is a cousin of the mint plant and hence, it has a strong and minty odor to it. You can detect this when you crush a little bit of the plant and smell it.
- The creeping charlie’s leaves are bright green to look at and they are either round or kidney-shaped. These leaves have scalloped edges which means that the stems grow into thick and carpet-like mats.
- These mats grow very low in the garden which means that they effectively stop and prevent any other plant from growing in their place.
How To Get Rid Of Creeping Charlie Naturally – Effective (11 Steps)
How do you kill creeping charlie in your lawn? organically without hurting the lawn?
- Step 1: Refrain from using industrially manufactured pesticides and herbicides on creeping charlie because they may be harmful to your friends and family who frequently visit the place.
- Step 2: Trip the leaves and stems from the creeping charlie that has already established itself in the area to find out where it is growing from. When you have cut the trimmings, bag them
- Step 3: You can use these cuttings in the compost pile if you have one or throw them in the trash can. Do not leave them on the ground. If you do, they have a tendency to regrow from where you left them
- Step 4: Soak the soil using your garden hose. Soaking the soil with water will saturate the soil content around creeping charlie. You can give the water some time to soak completely into the ground before you move on with the next step.
- Step 5: You can also wait for a rainstorm to hit the garden or the area you live in if you don’t have a lot of water available readily.
- Step 6: Pull up the creeping charlie from their roots. You have to do this carefully otherwise it will have no use.
- Step 7: In case the plants are very deep into the soil, you can use a pitchfork to remove them adequately. You must pull apart the entire plant and get the roots out in one pull only.
- Step 8: Look for the pieces of the root of the plant that you might have missed during the previous step. You must make sure that you have the adequate tools (a weeding fork or a trowel) to remove these plant pieces from the soil. Ensuring that there are no sizable creeping charlie plant pieces lying around is of paramount importance.
- Step 9: Take all these little pieces and put them in the same bag with the other cuttings of the creeping charlie plants.
- Step 10: Keep an eye on the area to see if the creeping charlie is springing out somewhere else. In this case, you must take immediate action and remove them from their roots
- Step 11: Repeat the entire process again in a few weeks to remove creeping charlie entirely from your garden and your lawn and allow your favorite plants to grow in peace.
How To Use Dicamba Herbicide For Creeping Charlie?
How to eradicate creeping charlie? Dicamba herbicide is used to kill creeping charlie in a lot of lawns and gardens around the world.
However, if you want to use a herbicide to kills creeping charlie, you must be aware of the fact that not all industrial herbicides can be used to kill creeping charlie weed.
Only weed killers like dicamba are potent enough to get rid of creeping charlie in the lawn. Even the usage of Dicamba has to be accurate and precise and has to be administered in the perfect procedure.
To administer dicamba on your creeping charlie plants, you have to use it on your lawn in the early months of autumn or fall. This is when the creeping charlie grass grows most aggressively in your garden.
This way, the dicamba will leave the plants unable to multiply and grow. If you don’t apply it to the lawn, there are low chances of complete eradication and high chances of mere prevention of growth.
When is the best time to kill creeping charlie? You should only apply dicamba herbicide to your garden after mowing and should not mow the garden at least 3 days after application.
Find below my top recommendation on the best herbicide for creeping charlie, if you wish to buy dicamba herbicide for creeping charlie.
- Monterey Spurge Power 16oz Contains 3 active ingredients that control Spurge, Dandelion, Oxalis,...
- TOTAL WEED KILLER - Spray eliminates chickweed, clover, dandelions, ground ivy, oxalis, wild violet...
- Kills dandelions, clover and other broadleaf weeds
Last update on 2021-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What Is The Difference Between Creeping Jenny And Creeping Charlie?
Sometimes, when people are growing the plant of creeping jenny, they often mistake it for the weed creeping charlie. Find below what are the Differences Between Creeping Jenny And Creeping Charlie.
|Creeping Jenny||Creeping Charlie|
|It’s also a ground cover, but not destroying others plants growth.||It’s a kind of low-growing weed and acts as a ground cover, that destroys other plant’s growth like lown, and nearby plants.|
|Creeping Jenny adds good aesthetic addition to your garden if you are looking to decorate it.||Creeping Charlie is not as welcoming as Creeping Jenny.|
|Creeping Jenny, reach a height of 15 inches (38 cm.)||Whereas creeping charlie grows up to 30 inches (76.2 cm.)|
|Creeping Jenny has yellow-green colored flowers.||Creeping charlie also produces awesome lavender flowers|
How To Kill Creeping Charlie With Vinegar?
What is the best weed killer for creeping charlie? Creeping charlie is an extremely low-lying plant that forms vines and inhibits the growth of other plants while they’re growing.
Often a nuisance that is hard to get rid of, creeping charlie is especially susceptible to some kinds of chemicals. One of them is horticultural vinegar.
The vinegar that is used for food contains about 5 percent acetic acid which is not effective against most gardening requirements. However, the horticultural vinegar has a lot more acetic acid content that makes it more potent and effective towards the weeds you’re trying to use it against; in this case, creeping charlie.
Although horticultural vinegar can definitely be used against the growth of creeping charlie, you have to understand the dangers that that involves.
NOTE: If horticultural vinegar is sold as a herbicide, it has to follow the same rules that you adhere to with other herbicides. Horticultural vinegar is also highly corrosive, which means that you should not let kids or pets near it when it is applied or stored. Hence, this is how you kill creeping charlie with vinegar.
How To Get Rid Of Creeping Charlie With Borax
Will borax kill weeds? If you’re tired of the creeping charlie weed destroying the plants you’re trying to grow in your lawn or garden.
There are some things you can do to remove them for good. If you want a more natural remedy than most herbicides have to offer, you can use borax as a weed killer to ensure killing creeping charlie in the lawn.
This is a well-known weed killer and can be used on creeping charlie as well as any other weeds that you’re trying to remove. You have to mix the borax with water and conform to medical standards and concentrations as prescribed on the container of the borax itself.
However, when killing weeds with borax, you have to exercise caution if you do decide to use borax for these purposes. It is an extremely potent weed killer which has the ability to harm your body as well.
You must conform to the safety standards when you use borax to kill creeping charlie in your lawn. Hence, this is how you go about killing creeping charlie with borax.
Does Roundup Kill Creeping Charlie
Do you want to kill creeping charlie without killing grass? If you have a lot of plants growing in your garden and you also have creeping charlie, there are some ways that you can employ to remove the creeping charlie only without harming the other plants.
However, if you do decide to use roundup to remove the creeping charlie from your lawn, you must be advised that the usage of roundup will also kill and decay the grass that surrounds the creeping charlie in your garden.
Borax and roundup in your garden will definitely have the ability to kill the creeping charlie that you hate, but you will also have to compromise on the grass that surrounds these regions.
If you’re not willing to part with all that grass (or possibly plants), you must not use roundup. Otherwise, it is an extremely effective solution to removing creeping charlie.
What Is The Best Product To Kill Creeping Charlie?
How to get rid of creeping charlie on the lawn? If you have creeping charlie in your lawn and its presence is preventing you from planting any other plants around it, you must get those weeds removed immediately.
There are a lot of options on the market with relation to the removal of weeds like creeping charlie but you have to make sure that you use the option that suits you and your garden best.
For most people, the usage of triclopyr is the most effective option for the removal of Creeping Charlie. These are systemic and selective herbicides that specialize in the killing and the removal of creeping charlie.
These herbicides are sprayed on the soil and are taken up by the creeping charlie. Does triclopyr kill grass? The most important thing is that when triclopyr is applied properly in the lawn, it does not kill the grass and the other plants that surround creepy charlie.
How to get rid of creeping Charlie pet safe?
In order to kill Creeping Charlie weeds permanently without harming your pets. Below are organic products you can rely on.
- Pets weed killer
- Espoma Weed Preventer
- Harris vinegar weed killer
- Green gobbler vinegar weed killer
- Doctor kirchner natural weed killer
- Natural Armor Weed and Grass Killer
- Earth’s Ally Weed and Grass Killer
- Pondworx Pond Bacteria
Frequently Asked Questions On How To Get Rid Of Creeping Charlie
Q1: Does Creeping Charlie Die In The Winter?
Yes, Creeping Charlie Does Have A Tendency To Die In The Winter Or Late Fall. However, You Have To Be Aware That The Most Aggressive Growing Season For The Creeping Charlie Is Early Fall.
Q2: Is Creeping Charlie Poisonous To Humans?
Creeping Charlie Is Non-Poisonous. Thus, This Weed Cannot Harm Humans In Any Way. It Is Surprising To Know That Creeping Charlie Is Also Cooked And Eaten In Some Places Around The World.
Q3: Is Ground Ivy The Same As Creeping Charlie?
Yes, Creeping Charlie And Ground Ivy grass Are The Names For The Same Weed.
Q4: How To Get Rid Of Creeping Jenny?
If You Want To Get Rid Of Creeping Jenny, Many Of The Methods That Are Applied For Creeping Charlie Can Be Effectively Used. These Include The Use Of Borax, Triclopyr Or Dicamba, Roundup Or Manual Removal By Pulling Out The Plant.
Q5: Is Creeping Charlie Good For Anything?
Although It Is Seen As An Inhibiting Weed In Many Gardens, Creeping Charlie Has A Long History Of Medicinal Use In Many Cultures. This Plant Has Been Used In History To Cure Sinus Problems, Coughs And In Some Cases, Bronchitis.
Q6: How to use tenacity to control creeping charlie?
Tenacity is a great product to control Creeping Charlie weed. It’s a very strong product, to less is always more to control ivy spread in your garden.
Q7: does Scotts weed and feed kill creeping charlie?
Yes, along with controling Creeping Charlie Scotts Weed And Feed Kills many other weeds that raised in different kind of lawn a like Kentucky bluegrass, fescue, rye grass, centipede, bahiagrass, Bermuda or zoysia.
- [15 Exclusive Ideas]: How To Get Rid Of Creeping Charlie From The Garden Quickly?
- How Long Does Garden Soil Last + 17 Tips To [Store, Revive, Care] Old Soil
- 15+ Uses: How To Use Diatomaceous Earth For Garden & Home
Hence, these are some of the solutions that you can use to get rid of creeping charlie. We hope that this blog will help you make smart decisions about your garden and the removal of weeds therefrom.
Did you find How To Get Rid Of Creeping Charlie? helpful? Please follow GardeningLovy Pinterest and leave a comment below, share it, like it, rate it. Write to us Here. We, as a blogger, need all the help, motivation, and appreciation. This small help for Subscribing and sharing on social media will be appreciated! Let us know your feedback in the comment below.
My name is Olivia, staying in the United States, and I love to have plants in my garden. Lots of plants are there in my balcony, indoor and outdoor garden also. Here I am trying to share useful tips on gardening, how to grow and care for various plants, etc. Check out more.